Intending IJMB students often wants to know what the the difference between IJMB and JUPEB is in other to make their choices when applying for an A'level programme, this is to inform you all that the purpose of this post is to help you in differentiating and stating the similarities between IJMB and JUPEB. At the end of this post, readers would be able to differentiate and analyze the usefulness of the two programmes and would be able to make a decision on which of the programmes to they would want to put in for. Hence, read carefully so as to comprehend the validity and importance of IJMB and JUPEB. If after reading through, you still have questions, kindly drop a comment at the end of this post or reach us via any of the contacts below.
What is the meaning of IJMB?
IJMB simply means Interim Joints Matriculation Board. The IJMB programme was established by the The Interim Common Services Agency (ICSA) in 1976 under statute 5 of the Ahmadu Bello University Law, to run the Interim Joint Matriculation Board Examination (IJMBE) as an alternative ‘A’ level Examination to student or candidate who may wish to seek for under graduate admission into Ahmadu Bello University and other University.
What is the meaning of JUPEB?
The meaning of JUPEB is Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board
JUPEB is a national examinations body approved by the Federal Government of Nigeria in December 2013. It was formally established in April 2014 by a consortium of ten (10) partnering universities led by the University of Lagos.
Similarities Between IJMB and JUPEB
Before proceeding, I’d like to put here some similarities between these two A’level programmes.
- Both programmes offer students admission into 200L in the Nigerian University of their choice after successfully completing the programme.
- Both programmes last for approximately 9-12 months.
- Both programmes are fully accredited by the council of Nigerian Universities Commission as an advanced programme for direct entry in 200L in Nigerian universities.
- Both programmes certificate do not expire, they can be used to secure admission after several years of acquiring the certificate. But note these certificates are strictly for securing admission into 200L and not for securing job. This is another advantage these programmes have over JAMB, JAMB expires within a year.
- The grading system of both programmes is the same. (Click here to know more about IJMB/JUPEB grading system)
- Both programmes only include 3 subject combinations that suit candidates’ course of choice (See list of subject combination).
Differences between IJMB and JUPEB
Ever wonder why they is so much comparison between this two and which one is actually the best? Never to worry as we have you covered in the section of the article, so read on below to see what the striking differences are
- Fees: We can tell you categorically that IJMB fees is very cheaper than JUPEB because the cost of studying for IJMB anywhere in Nigeria is between N70, 000 in our study centres and close to N150, 000 in some other private institutions. While the cost of JUPEB is between N150, 000 in our study centres and N450, 000 in some JUPEB affiliated universities. In addition, application form for IJMB is less than N10,000 while that of JUPEB is above N15,000.
- Moderation/Regulation: IJMB is under the control of Ahmadu Bello University Zaria while JUPEB is being moderated by the University of Lagos, however both certificate can be used for any of its affiliated universities.
- Popularity: Unequivocally, in terms of Public awareness, IJMB is a well known programme all over the federation especially because of its long time existence since 1976. In fact, a vast majority of Nigerians did the programme during their undergraduate days in the 70’s, 80,’s and 90’s even till date. Where as jUPEB is a newly introduced programme, less than 5years, that just came to existence.
- Examinations: Normally, IJMB examination are usually conducted every February yearly while JUPEB is done in May/June every year.
- Acceptability: Finally, we are pleased to inform you that IJMB is accepted in more than 80% of universities in Nigeria ➧IJMB Affiliated Universities, while JUPEB is accepted in all JUPEB affiliated universities.
What do you think? Was this article The Differences Between IJMB and JUPEB helpful and useful?
So that is it on The Differences between IJMB and JUPEB. Let me know what you think in the comment box below.